Musings, Nits, and Praises: Just Say "No" to Sharpies

Musings, Nits, and Praises

A farrago of all things deemed blog-worthy by a music-loving, poetry-writing, humor-seeking English teacher


Just Say "No" to Sharpies

If you plan on purchasing a Sharpie from Wal-Mart, be sure you have your driver's license with you. That's right, Wal-Mart cards people for Sharpies.
A while back when I was purchasing some items for my classroom at the self check-out, I noticed the Sharpies appeared in a different color than the other items on the screen, but I didn't think anything of it. Then as I was pulling out my wallet to pay, the clerk came over and explained that he needed to check my ID before I could buy the Sharpies. Apparently, Wal-Mart cards would-be Sharpie buyers because kids have bought them to sniff for a high. Now, I know folks will sniff all sorts of weird stuff looking for a buzz--rubber cement, magic markers, paint, etc.-- but should I really need to show an ID to buy a writing utensil?!
Imagine the kind of anti-drug commercials they could make about Sharpies:

"Parents, talk to your kids about Sharpies. It could be the most important thing you ever do."

"Kids, if a stranger offers you a Sharpie, just say 'no.'"

Or, does anyone recall the old commercial where a bald man with a mustache takes a box containing drug paraphernalia into his son's room and confronts his him about it?

"Son, where did you get this? Where did you learn how to use a Sharpie?"

"I learned it from watching you label stuff dad!!! I learned it from watching you!"


If Wal-Mart is concerned about people sniffing Sharpies, it's just a matter of time before you get carded for buying deodorant, air fresheners, or any other scented item. Of course, maybe Wal-Mart doesn't card all Sharpie buyers. I might've have appeared as the shady kind of fellow who lurks in dark alleys and pushes markers and pens.

0 Responses to “Just Say "No" to Sharpies”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Musings, Nits, and Praises | No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to