Musings, Nits, and Praises: My Top 10 Albums of 2007

Musings, Nits, and Praises

A farrago of all things deemed blog-worthy by a music-loving, poetry-writing, humor-seeking English teacher


My Top 10 Albums of 2007

Given that I've only heard a fraction of the albums released in 2007, that I basically narrow my music listening to various flavors of rock, and that I find it next to impossible to rank any kind of artistic expression, I really ought to call this list "An Arbitrary Listing of Ten Albums Jason Likes from 2007." About two weeks ago, I submitted my Top 10 list for an internet magazine I write reviews for. This list varies a bit from that one, demonstrating my aforementioned struggles to make such lists.

1. Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
It lacks some of the poignancy of The Animal Years, but it's more adventurous. I never tire of listening to it.

2. The National - Boxer
Elegant, moody, urgent

3. The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
The first seven songs are so good I sometimes never make it to the second half of the album.

4. Bruce Springsteen - Magic
The production is a bit too polished for my liking, but the songs are quintessential Springsteen.

5. Okkervil River - The Stage Names
A blend of eclectic, eminently catchy music and deft wordplay

6. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
Thanks to Andy Dunham for recommending this one.

7.Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
This one has grown on me. The album took on a new life after seeing them in concert a few months back.

8. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
The finest indie-pop export from the city I used to call home.

9. Ola Podrida - Ola Podrida
Kester Smith mentioned the band on his blog a while back and their name alone prompted me to check them out. But the "they" is really just one guy, David Wingo. The album is some of the best spare, folk-pop I've heard in a long while.

10. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
I find some of their songs downright cringe-inducing, but so many others are undeniably compelling.

2 Responses to “My Top 10 Albums of 2007”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    The best music ever comes from Lawrence Welk's band. Now, that is real music.

    D. Walker, Mayor of Memphis  

  2. # Blogger Jason

    I enjoy some big band music from time to time.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Musings, Nits, and Praises | No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to