"Hi folks, Dickie V here. Whew, what a tournament! The suspense and excitement were superb. I’m flat out exhausted, baby!
And what a sensational season it was too, start to finish. Let’s review the entire season, coast to coast, big conferences and small, equal time for all, for the greatest moments.
Here’s my list of the top ten events from the 2005-2006 college hoops season, which should go down as one of the greatest in history:
10. Duke’s preseason No. 1 ranking. Yes sir, SI asked the question best in its preseason issue, “Can anybody beat Duke?” Turned out the answer was yes, four times, but that’s not the big deal. The big accomplishment was going into such a competitive season ranked No. 1 and having people believe that you were unbeatable. It says so much about the reputation of Duke basketball.
9. Duke capturing the preseason NIT title. Oh, what a superb measure of greatness that was. Yes sir, my friends, Duke clearly showed that it deserved that No. 1 ranking with that amazing accomplishment.
8. Duke beating Texas by 31 points. It was supposed to be a great battle between the No. 1 and 2 ranked teams. But it turned out to be an M&Mer, largely because of the awesome shooting of a Mr. JJ Redick. Yes sir, JJ’s 40 point shooting day was unbelievable, baby!!! I really thought that game alone should have decided the national champion, and in my mind it did. But fortunately the season continued with still more great moments.
7. JJ Redick capturing the ACC career scoring title. Who would have thought it possible: to eclipse the career scoring mark set by Dickie Hemric. I know a lot of hoops fans out there don’t even know who this guy was, but believe you me it was an unbelievable achievement. Yes sir, JJ Redick is quite simply the greatest outside shooter who ever lived.
6. Duke’s senior night celebration for JJ and company. You just gotta love those Cameron Crazies. What dedication – camping out for three months to show the love for this awesome senior class. I mean, sure, it’s too bad Duke lost that game to a freshman oriented team from their arch-rival UNC, but Coach K and Duke are all about building character, not just W's. And what better way to build character than to have your head handed to you by a bunch of freshmen? Even with the L, it was still just an awesome spectacle seeing the crowd say goodbye to the greatest one-two punch in the history of the game! There wasn’t a dry eye in the house, including mine! Mike Patrick was fighting me for the last tissue. Hey, Mike, get your own box of Klennex next time, baby!!!
5. Duke winning the ACC tournament. They did it again, folks. And how many ACC titles is that for the Dukies? Ah, it’s just not fair, baby! Come on Coach K, give someone else a chance!!
4. Duke beating Southern in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Yes friends, for a while Southern thought they would make history as the first 16 seed to beat a No. 1. But it was not to be, as Duke proudly kept the tradition alive and well with a dramatic victory! Another great coaching achievement by Coach K! Is there anything this man can't do?
3. Duke making it to the Sweet 16 for a ninth straight year. Man, what an accomplishment -- and a testament to the greatest coach in the game, Mike Krzyzewski. Nine sweet 16s. Think about it. That’s the most incredible thing since Carolina went to 13 straight during the 80’s and 90’s. And since people don’t pay nearly as much attention to other schools like UNC, it’s really an even bigger accomplishment! And what more could you possibly ask of a school that only had two All-Americans and the player of the year? What an overachieving group this Duke team has been!
2. JJ Redick winning player of the year co-honors. Never was an award so richly deserved. I just can’t say enough about this guy. He scores, he passes, he plays D. He’s the 3-S man: he’s super, he’s scintillating, he’s sensational. Ah, why can’t I be more like JJ? It’s just not fair, baby!! And congrats also to the guy who shared in the honor, Adam Morris or something like that. Good job, fella!
1. Shelden Williams wins defensive player of the year honors. We can’t forget about the landlord, can we? What a prime time specimen this guy is. And such a space eater, too. Yes sir, Shaquille O’Neal better be on the lookout. There’s a new post leader coming to town, baby!!!
So that’s it. The top 10 moments in this glorious hoops season. I could go on and on with some more examples from that great program down in Durham, N.C., but I promised the moderator to keep the list to ten. Oh, and I almost forgot, honorable mention goes to the University of Florida for winning the NCAA title."